There are four grammar schools in the London Borough of Bexley:
– Beths Grammar School (known locally as Beths), is a boys’ grammar school which was founded in 1945. It became a grammar school in 1976 and typically outperforms other schools in the borough. 
– Bexley Grammar School is a co-ed grammar school with academy status in Welling. Founded in 1955, Bexley Grammar has specialist status in languages, science and mathematics. 
– Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School is a co-ed grammar school with academy status located in Hurst Road, Sidcup. A number of composers, astronomers, historians, military officials and philosophers attended the school, contributing to its impressive global network of alumni. 
– Townley Grammar School is a grammar school for girls on Townley Road, Bexleyheath. Noted as a high-performing school, Townley Grammar regularly appears in the Sunday Times Good Schools Guide. 
Each of these schools administers an online test as part of the admissions process for In-Year Entry at 12+ and 13+. The online test is called CEM Select. It is created by the Centre of Evaluation and Monitoring (CEM), which is part of Cambridge Assessment.
Bexley Grammar Schools Late Transfer (In-Year 12 Plus & 13 Plus) Entry Admissions Information
These tests can be taken at any of the grammar schools in Bexley. Dates for the assessment will be communicated by the school your child is applying to.
In order for your child to be considered for the assessments, you should complete and submit one of the following forms:
- The Grammar In Year Application Form;
- Bexley In Year Application Form.
If your child is not currently attending a Bexley school, it is recommended that you complete the Bexley In Year Application Form, which can be found on the school’s website. This will provide access to all of the schools in Bexley rather than just the selective schools.
In the case of oversubscription, priority will be given to:
- Looked after children or previously looked after children.
- Students identified by the LA as achieving one of the highest scores in the selection tests.
- Pupils whose siblings are already attending the school.
- Children who live closest to the school.
Distance will be measured in a straight line from the applicant’s home address to the school’s entrance.
Bexley Grammar Schools Late Transfer (In-Year) Entry Exam Information
Exam Board Type: CEM Select
Exam Date: November
Admissions Info: London Borough of Bexley, 0208 303 7777
As part of the assessment process for late transfer entry at grammar schools in Bexley, your child will be asked to complete the CEM Select assessment.
The test contains a number of unusual question formats that your child is unlikely to have encountered before. These include drag and drop digits and sentence auto-completes.
The assessment will be divided into a series of highly time-pressured sections. Your child doesn’t necessarily need to complete all the questions in each section to do well.
Bexley Grammar Schools Late Transfer (In-Year) Entry Exam Format
The CEM Select assessment will cover the following areas:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
- Numerical Reasoning
The Verbal Reasoning section of the test assesses your child’s ability to solve problems using words, with a special focus on depth and breadth of vocabulary.
The Non-Verbal Reasoning section requires your child to solve problems using shapes and patterns with a main focus on one specific question type.
The Numerical Reasoning section assesses your child’s ability to solve problems using numbers and arithmetic.
Bexley Grammar Schools Late Transfer (In-Year) Entry Exam Practice Tests
Our CEM Select practice tests are highly accurate, ensuring that your child’s preparation is targeted and efficient.
Each timed module is marked automatically. Your child will then be able to review every question in detail with clear step-by-step explanations.
Statistical averages, based on the scores of other students who have taken the same practice test, are provided so you can get an idea of your child’s relative performance against their peer group. Click the below links to learn more and purchase:
Online Practice Tests
CEM Select Practice Test 1
CEM Select Practice Test 2
CEM Select Practice Test 3
CEM Select Practice Test 4
CEM Select Practice Test 5
CEM Select – Missing Words
Don’t forget to use the code ppdiscount at checkout to get 10% off orders over £80 and 20% off orders over £200!
The information in this post was correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.
Please note that Pretest Plus is an independent publisher of practice tests and not affiliated with or endorsed by the publishers of CEM Select or any other test publisher.